Monday, December 1, 2014

Some Inspiration


Inspiration for the day! Sean Tan's video "The Lost Thing". I had forgotten about it until recently when I was looking up dream inspired children's books and BAM! Sean Tan is a children's book surrealist (but I'm pretty sure there's a more contemporary term for him XD) He had given me courage for the last idea yesterday. I say courage because there are plenty of artists who create strange, dark and quirky images and being someone who has been compared to Tim Burton, Edward Gory as well as Dr. Sues, Maurice Sendak and any other weird, well known artist out there for a good portion of my humble career it's good to know that I can keep going and still feel like it's my own work. I can move on and hopefully one day people will say my work looks like a Brittanny Handiboe. Anyway, I'm more influenced by artists who create works that are nothing like mine. Wanda Gag is a favorite, David Small, Eyvind Earle, Mike Mignola, Judy Pfaff, Mark Rothko, Robert Irwin, Ellesworth Kelly and several other artists. The list goes on.

As far as writing? I really don't know who I am as a writer. I can't compare myself to anyone because I've never thought of comparing myself. Maybe I should do that with my art for awhile and take a step back and look at it from there.

Enough of the inner exploration! Time to start working on those stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment